Sunday, March 13, 2011

Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI)

In class we took the Intercultural Development Inventory test.  From that they gave us back a individual profile report with our personal results.  It provides information about our own orientations toward cultural difference and commonality.  When I took this survey I figured I wouldn't do very well since I am very uninformed with the world around me. I always have known that but since taking this class it was really shown much more.  When I received my results I was much more shocked at the difference between what I actually scored and what I perceived I would score.  My perceived orientation score (PO) was a 119.95  Which means that I think I adapt to cultural differences within acceptance.  My Developmental Orientation score (DO) was at a 74.6 which means i'm in the polarization stage.  It also indicated that 82 % of my resolution of Polarization perspective is more from a defensive view and 18% from a Reversal orientation.  My Orientation Gap was 45.35 points away from each other which is really the huge part that shocked me.  I overestimated my level of intercultural competence.  My Denial Trailing Orientation is at a 3.4 which is closer to the resolved side.  Disinterest in Culture Difference Trailing Orientation was at a 3.75 which is almost resolved which is good.  And my Avoidance of Interaction with Cultural Difference Trailing Orientation was at a 3 which is in the middle of unresolved and resolved.  My leading orientations will be minimization through acceptance.  I scored a 2.6 on the cultural disengagement meaning that I sense of disconnection from culture group.
I think this was an eye opener for me to take this.  I would have never done it on my own with out this class because I would never have even known about it.  I am starting to realize there is so much more out there than my little life I live and I really need to start learning and accepting more cultures.  I have been rather sheltered from what is going on in the world around me and that is all my fault.  I think it would be very cool to take the IDI my senior year and see how much I have changed and grown and to compare the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment