Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First day in my first grade class

Today was my first day in my field experience at Clearview Elementary School.  I found out earlier this week via email that the first grade class I will be working in is part of the Spanish immersion program.  I was very excited to meet the students and learn some Spanish on the way.  When I arrived into the class room the students were finishing up their Science unit.  The teacher introduced me as Senorita Sierra.  I quickly learned that this class speaks Spanish the entire time.  I sat in the back for a little bit while they finished what the students were working on.  The teacher spoke to the students the entire time in Spanish and for the most part they responded in Spanish.   I was blown away by how much these students know and how well they could speak Spanish.  After the students were finished with Science, the class split into two groups.  One group of 12 students would come with me and the other 12 would go with Ms Hackenmueller.  I split my group of 12 into two groups of six.  We were playing Twister so half the students would actually be physically playing the game while the other half would be graphing where the students landed.  The graphs and twister board were done in Spanish.  It was quite a task for me to say right foot green in Spanish.  A couple of the students actually corrected me on some pronunciations which was fun.  It was a task to keep the students focused and understand completely how to graph the game.   Over all the students had a lot of fun.  This first grade class is a little more rowdy that some of the other classes I hear.  After the students left for the day I had about 15 minutes where I could catch up with the teacher and get to know her a little bit more.  This is Kari Hackenmuller's first year teaching.  She did her student teaching at Clearview last year.  She graduated from St Ben's last year and is a double major in Elementary Education and Spanish.  We touched base about the future weeks and I'm really excited to be in this class room!

No comments:

Post a Comment